Sunday, September 20, 2009

Frosh Art 9" x 12"

Warped, oil pastels
I love this, really love how it turned out. I approached it intending it be oriented 90 degrees clockwise from how it is now, with elongated faces in silhouette, but in the end I like it better this way. This was one of my first attempts at using oil pastels. I achieved the fuzziness of the picture by blending the the oil pastels with a large rubber eraser.

Composition #7, crayon
Not my favorite, but the left side of the picture looks a lot cooler in person, with the orange circles peeking through the magenta color.

Bubbles, crayon
I like how this turned out. Something that I would do, for sure.

Hawaiian Punk, crayon
I am torn with this one. I like how dynamic it is, but I'm not crazy about the fruity color scheme and the hawaiian flower. I tend to draw flowers when I have no idea what to draw, and so this was one of those drawings.

Reflections #2, ink
I am in this rut drawing people sitting alone under trees, looking out at the horizon deep in thought. It's rooted in my personal experience, I did a lot of this during my last semester of high school in the state park. I usually draw these sort of drawings with the figure's back to me, and so this time I thought I'd turn the scene around. The squigglies in the background represent all my thoughts and reflections, and the blank bit in the lower right corner, where the girl's gaze is looking represents the future, which hasn't be written yet.


Eye of the Radioactive Storm, ink, crayon
Haha, I don't know, I like it thought.


Santa, ink, crayon
I was just sort of drawing interlocking squiggly lines, and in the end I thought it kind of looked like Santa, like his beard. So I colored over it with red and called it Santa.


Reaching, ink, crayon
The concept behind this is that the girl in the red dress is the ideal female, and the blue shadowy girls are reaching out to her, wanting to be her. Not really motivated by my own insecurity though. I actually approached it as something else entirely, though I can't remember what, can turned into this.


Bursting Buzz, ink
I LOVE this. I really do, for no particular reason, this is just something representative of my style.


Rhythmic Industry #5, pencil, ink, marker
The name is irrelevant. lol Just an abstract composition where I played with movement.


Out of Place, pencil

This is one of the first things I drew here in college. It's a representation of how I felt coming into college, which was a mixed feeling of being overwhelmed, intimidated, and out of place. Focusing on art served as a nice escape for this drawing. (And a long one too! This much shading takes a long while.)

Sloughing Somber, pink, colored pencil, crayon
I LOVE this. This is my favorite drawing from all of my frosh artwork, and it's a shame that this photo doesn't really capture how awesome it looks at all. :P


Reflections, pencil, crayon
This is another Reflection drawing. I made the tree light green to make give it more visual interest, and because I didn't feel like drawing with pencil anymore. lol I like this picture a fair amount, though the background could have been developed more, for sure.


Hot, crayon
I drew this when it was really hot in Berkeley. The colors in the drawing are warmer in person.

ffff Eyes, crayon, marker
This was a shitty marker drawing of eyes that I attempted to recover with crayons. It looks alright now. I might make the background darker later.


Untitled, pencil, marker
In-between classes doodle that I decorated with blue markers when I got back to my dorm room. I like it ok, but the bottom, but I wish I had extended the beam of light that radiates downward all the way down instead of going over it cutting it short with blue marker.


Flimsy Trees, crayon, black ink, red ink
This isn't impressive at all, but there is something in its minimalism that I still like. Basically I drew the trees, horizon, and sun with thin red and black lines, and then lightly colored over them with crayon.
Radial, crayon, black ink
I might have drawn this before coming here, but I'm not sure. Just fun stuff with crayon.

2 comments:

  1. Well you've definitely been busy. :P
    My favorite is the "untitled" one done in pencil and markers (2 up from the last one).

    ReplyDelete